Howarth Morris have been exclusively instructed to assist a prestigious Engineering/Construction business in their search for their next Financial Controller. This is a a business critical role within an extremely complex group of companies with a large amount of brand exposure in the South Manchester area.
You will be reporting into, and supported by, the Finance Director, the key focus of this role will be to deliver a high quality, professional and responsive service to support all the business's financial needs. The business is facing several key commercial challenges and this role will play a pro-active role in leading projects, budgeting and financial initiatives, as well as offering pricing and other commercial skills to underpin the company's development
This is a high profile role which will suit an ambitious, qualified accountant looking to take their career to the next level. This is an opportunity to join an established business, which is transforming itself as its requirements develop. The business is sufficiently large to offer a wide range of services and experience, whilst still small enough to maintain its friendly atmosphere and ability to respond quickly.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Manage and develop a multi-skilled finance team of seven, including at least three training accountants, with an emphasis on continuous improvement.
- Maintain, control and develop appropriate systems, including the structure of internal controls and controls over payroll reporting.
- Provide analysis, commentary and guidance on the monthly financial performance of the company and each cost centre.
- Oversee the year-end close-down process
- Manage the year-end audit and statutory accounts each year, including being the lead contact with external auditors
- Oversee the timely preparation and review of monthly KPIs, management accounts, accountability reports and cost centre reports, including written commentary
- Assist the Finance Director to drive the performance of the business via regular performance meetings and cost centre reviews
- Assist and support the Finance Director with analysis, systems and reports to underpin the strategic development of the business.
- Act as an ambassador for finance within the business and also with external parties.
- Lead and develop the changing culture within the finance team and support the Finance Director in developing a supportive, multi-disciplinary approach to decision-making and customer service.
- Monitor and control cash flow within the business, including cash-flow forecasting and reporting as required.
- Deliver the annual Budget process for the following financial year in December to February each year.
- Manage and oversee the annual year-end, statutory accounts and audit each year.
- Price new business and growth opportunities as required by the business.
- Provide ad hoc reporting and analysis to all levels of management as required.
- Build a strong relationship with each of the operational Business Managers responsible for managing key business segments and assisting with key decision making.
- Assist in the development and implementation of company-wide information systems.
- Conduct reviews and evaluations for cost reductions, capital expenditure and innovative projects.
- Lead, manage and assist with diverse projects aimed at improving the commercial effectiveness of the business.
- Enthusiastic and committed approach with real strength of character
- Qualified Accountant (ACA/ACCA/CIMA) with hands-on experience in SMEs
- Strong management experience, especially the ability to mentor and develop a team and to promote a teamwork ethic both within Finance and in the wider company
- Professional, ethical and mature approach
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written, verbal and presentational) to positively influence at all levels of the business up to Senior Management Team level.
- Strong technical and commercial skills to provide a balanced view on operational and commercial issues and opportunities.
- Awareness of the impact of how change can impact on the finance team and the wider business.
- Willing to go the extra mile to get the job done.
In return the successful candidate will have the opportunity for a stable but commercially rewarding position with a positive, financially strong, value-based organisation. Your benefits will include:
- £55,000 - £60,000
- Non-contributory pension scheme
- Flexible benefits and flexi-time (35 hours per week).
- Other financial benefits to be discussed.